Questioning Technique to Aid Outstanding Learning
A more detailed description of this technique can be found here: Pose Pause Bounce Pounce
Questioning – Raising the Profile
- Try Thunks to get them thinking when they come in to the room. Check out the Thunks website: Thunks here – lots of them! For example, Is it better to feel lonely in a society obsessed with celebrity and fashion, or be happy with the distractions of a shallow life?
- Question of the week
- Question Wall
- Giving think time – at least 10 seconds!
- No hands up – random name generator
- Think, Pair, Share (can also be Think, Small Groups Discuss, Share)
- Hinge Questions
- Beyond the classroom – look at at subject’s displays in corridors – could you add some interesting questions?
- Really meaningful display – add thoughtful questions and then students’ thoughts as you unlock the learning together
- Introduce the time machine idea (anything will do: bike, car, cardboard box) to ask questions about the past and the future
- Make them google proof – ask questions that can’t be found on the t’internet